Egg Plant and Beef Marinara
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 14 oz. (400g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1 cup (200g) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup (50g) cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Cut each eggplant in half length wise. Using a knife, cut the flesh of each eggplant in a cross-hatch pattern; be careful not to cut through the skin. Place the eggplant halves on a baking tray, flesh side up. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then, bake for about 30 minutes until soft.
- In the meantime, prepare the beef marinara sauce. Heat a dry, non-stick pan over medium-high heat and cook the ground beef for 5-6 minutes until browned. Add in the onion and garlic, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and rosemary, then bring to a boil. After bringing to a boil, reduce heat to low. Continue simmering until eggplant is ready, which should take around 20 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven, and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin to hold its shape. Chop the removed flesh, add to the beef, mixing well.
- Spread 1/4 of the beef marinara sauce over each eggplant half, and sprinkle each with cheese.
- Place the stuffed eggplant back into the oven, and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes until lightly browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 853Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 268mgSodium: 292mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 89g